Growth Hacker's Digest - Edition 35
For this week, here's what we have lined up for you:
- [Increase Traffic] 7 Monstrous Ways to Improve Ad Performance
- [Increase Traffic] How 2 Ordinary Guys Grew Their Instagram Following from 800 – 16K in 4 Months
- [Increase Conversions] AdEspresso’s Conversion Secrets: What’s Wrong With Our Site?
- [Increase Conversions] Double The Revenue of Your Cart Abandonment Campaigns (Our Step-by-Step Process)
Blog Posts of Note:
[Increase Traffic] 7 Monstrous Ways to Improve Ad Performance
by Jonathan Dane
Here are the specific tips Jonathan has shared to improve CTR and CPC:
1) Optimize for sales rate and not conversion rate by using ValueTrack parameters
2) When bidding, use Single Keyword Ad Groups
3) Also optimize your landing page. Remember that ads just bring people to your site. Your landing page converts them.
4) Take all the keywords that have 0 conversions, then turn then into exact match negatives.
5) If one of your previous visitors attempt to search for competition in Google, bid on that keyword by 300% than the suggested bid. You can do this via RLSA campaigns.
6) Test out different offers. Identify what makes sense for your vertical, then cycle through them to identify what's working for your business. Here are some of the offers Jonathan has found helpful for different PPC traffic sources.
– Video/Video Course
– Toolkit (collection of tools)
– Live Demo
– Email Course
– Physical Product
– Swipe File
– Custom Pricing
– White Paper
– Industry Stats
– Case Study
7) Add a multi-step email value drip campaign that provides value for their prospects. In Jonathan's case, he gave custom pricing tables, how a 30 day report would look like, etc.
Here are the exact steps Bradley took to grow their instagram page by 20X in 4 months:
1) Be clear on what the brand's theme is in the username and bio. Here's what they used:
- username: nichollsandmorley
- biography: two young startups devoted to entrepreneurship. founders of @stageonestartup. podcast for startups & aspiring entrepreneurs -> stageonestartup.com/itunes
2) Post daily for multiple times a day.
3) Use Iconosquare or HashMe to get the trending or best performing hashtags.
4) Repost "unicorn posts" by turning notifications on whenever your top influencers' post, then reshare it while tagging them. A great recent example is the "Usain Bolt looking back photo" and the "2008 / 2016 photo of Michael Phelps and Joseph Schooling". Bonus: take the exact same format and make your own version. Over time, you'll get in tune with what types of content your audience loves.
5) Monitor your daily and weekly growth and identify what worked / what didn't work. Use both Iconosquare or Social Blade here.
6) Reach out to influencers for paid shoutouts. This costs from $25 to $250 depending on the reach of the influencer.
Here are the tools that AdEspresso used to run the conversion analysis:
- HotJar – For the heat maps, click maps, and on-site/exit surveying
- Visual Website Optimizer (VWO)
- Typeform – To send direct surveys to those who Free Trial
- Formissimo – analytics for forms
- Google Analytics – measuring conversion rates
- MixPanel – on the back end and mobile
1) The discovered that only 25% reached the testimonials area. Since social proof is important to them, they decided to move it just below the fold. You can see it here.
2) They noticed that their users fill up every single form in their Join page. This does not help in terms of conversions. They've since shortened it to increase conversions.
3) They noticed that many of their AdWords traffic mainly go to the Join page. This is a big opportunity for them to create a custom landing page just for AdWords traffic.
This is a huge post, so here's Tom's 80/20:
- Take a customer service approach with your first email. Make sure your email looks like it’s coming from a real person, asking if they had any issues with checking out and if there is anything you can do to help.
- Use mobile responsive email design (because there’s a good chance that’s where your email will be read)
- Make sure your email marketing provider provides session regeneration as a feature (they've seen this provide a 33.96% lift in conversions for one of our customers)
- Test different offers ($ off vs % off vs free shipping) in the second and third emails to find the best offer for carts of different values (high, medium and low)
- Put the email field at the top of the checkout process (and use pre-submit tracking) or use a multi step checkout flow that asks for an email address up front so you can get more prospects into your abandoned cart email series